[LAU] multimedia on 64 bit distros

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri Apr 13 14:12:02 EDT 2007

I will upgrade my system from AthlonXP to Athlon 64 Dual Core, probably
this week-end.
Soon, the distro that I'm using (Fedora) is scheduled to issue a new
release (7), and I may take advantage of that to go from 32 bit to 64.

The problem, of course, is multimedia. These are the things that must
keep working:
- Flash web pages
- playing proprietary files such as WMA using Xine or Mplayer and the
Windows DLL codecs
- Java (OK, that's not strictly multimedia)

I know that there's some voodoo that can be performed to enable Flash on
64 bit OSes. I think it requires to install the 32 bit browser, but I'm
not sure what all the details are.

But how about the Windows DLL codecs and Java? Can I just install the 32
bit Xine and Mplayer (along with all the 32 bit library dependencies)
and it will all magically work?

There might be some strict Fedora-related issues as well, and I will
discuss those on the Fedora forum if I can't figure them out myself, but
first I'd like to untangle the generic problem of doing multimedia on 64
bit distros.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/