[LAU] best mic(s) for environmenal recording?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Apr 14 02:27:08 EDT 2007

Mike Taht wrote:
> Thanks everybody for all the feedback. I spent a lot of time lusting
> after the km-184s, but I decided to try my luck with the matched pair
> Rode NT5s, being that they cost quite a bit less. In combination with
> the digimax fs, recording at 96khz, the results were pretty darn good.
> With headphones on I could hear the whole neighborhood (at about 8PM on
> a friday, so there was some stuff going on a few blocks away, dogs
> barking, and at least 5 cars drove by.....)
>
> Later, I sat about 20 feet behind the the mics that were facing the
> forest - and recorded http://www.taht.net/~mtaht/outside_cybernation.ogg
> on guitar, just to get a feel for what the relative levels were like in
> this decidedly non-optimal scenario. (the above ogg is downsampled to
> 48khz, and I haven't actually listened to it yet. Remember that it's
> supposed to be at a fairly low volume).

It's so low that most of it's practically inaudible to me on headphones,
and mostly inaudible through stereo amp and speakers. And either there's
no guitar on the right channel, or the right volume level is zilch.
Outside of that, it does sound clean and clear.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community