[LAU] Re: BBC Audio

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Mon Apr 16 23:47:28 EDT 2007

On Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 11:53:28PM -0400, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> >as for the streams, afaik its only realaudio and/or windows media.
>
> Last I had to play them(A couple months ago) I could play the streams by opening the URL in VLC.

its not so much that theyre unplayable, its that you have to enable codecs in mplayer, then usually the browser determines youre lacking the proper plugin, so doesnt ev en send you to the page where you can view source and look for something resembling an audio URL in an <embed> tag, otherwise you reconstruct it from the javascript..

then youre rewarded with some 16kbps dreck which fatigues your ears after a bout 3 seconds since its like a set of knives digging into your eardrums with the most awful psychoacoustically-masked crap ever.

i guess i'll just avoid the BBC until they bring back the ogg streams..