[LAU] jackd & debian problems

James everamzah at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 16:39:48 EDT 2007

i'm currently using ubuntu and successfully built my first deb package of
specimen and seq24 the other day. i tried to do the same for jack, but it
was more compilcated, i suppose because it's a multi binary application?
(libs, daemon, etc.)

i'm trying to figure this out for the same reason, but it goes roughly like
this:

~/src/seq24$ dhmake

this creates a debian subdirectory in the source tree. inside this directory
is a rules file, that works like a makefile for creating a debian package.
it will ask u a few questions, and check to see if
source-ver.orig.tar.gzexists. see man dh_make (or man debhelper).

~/src/seq24$ fakeroot debian/rules clean
~/src/seq24$ fakeroot debian/rules binary

the binary directive configures and builds the source, so no need to run
./configure. instead, edit the rules file and look for the configure line at
the top.

keeping the debian package of jack from etch, in the case of the original
message, and installing over it in /usr/bin from source sounds fine, but i'm
sure that there's a better way. i'd be grateful for anymore thoughts on
this, as i sometimes can't stand waiting for ubuntu packagers to release the
new packages for linux audio.

best,
james

On 4/18/07, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

> Lars Luthman wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 10:33 -0500, Josh Lawrence wrote:
> >> hello list,
> >>
> >> first off, I'm running debian etch, and installing everything via
> >> packages (sans the kernel).
> >>
> >> last night I decided I wanted to try out the sequencer dino, which
> >> requires a later version of jack than my repos offer.  I uninstalled
> >> jack (which uninstalled other jack applications), and compiled the
> >> newest version of jack and qjackctl.  this is where the problem
> >> started...
> >>
> >> now when I want to add a package from the repos, it wants to install
> >> the repos version of jack, and won't simply use the version I have
> >> compiled.  conflicts abound, and the net effect is that all jack apps
> >> are not working at the moment.
> >>
> >> there must be some way in debian to say, "don't worry about the jackd
> >> dependency, I've already got that installed."  or am I doomed to
> >> compile everything from source now that I've compiled jack from
> >> source?  is it all or nothing?
> >
> > This is how I do it:
> >
> > 1. Install the latest Debian package (using 'apt-get install
> > libjack0.100.0-0')
> > 2. Get the JACK source package you need, configure it with
> > --prefix=/usr, build it and install it (without uninstalling the Debian
> > package)
> > 3. Remove all files starting with libjack-0.100.0 in /usr/lib
> > 4. Create a symbolic link: /usr/lib/libjack-0.100.0.so.0
> > -> /usr/lib/libjack.so
> >
> > Done. Now old JACK programs from Debian packages should work (since the
> > database thinks that the JACK packages are still installed, although
> > they really have been overwritten) and programs requiring the newer API
> > (MIDI etc) should also work. If the libjack ABI ever becomes
> > incompatible with the old one your Debian packaged JACK clients may
> > start acting weird though.
> >
> > Also, your JACK-from-source installation will be overwritten if you do
> > apt-get upgrade and there are newer JACK packages than the one you have
> > installed. But all you have to do then is to reinstall your source
> > build.
>
> you can put the /overridden/ jack package into "hold" mode (eg. by
> pressing '=' on libjack in dselect) - no more updates for that package.
>
> > There are probably cleaner ways to do this (like copying over the debian
> > subdirectory from a Debian source package to your new tarball and build
> > a proper Debian package), but this works reasonably well for me.
>
> it's not *that* easy. debian applies a couple of patches..
>
> #robin

r2h.org