[LAU] [ANN] WhySynth DSSI softsynth 20070418 release

Lars Luthman lars.luthman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 06:20:17 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 11:34 +0000, Cesare Marilungo wrote:
> Sean Bolton wrote:
> > Announcing the 20070418 release of WhySynth, a DSSI softsynth
> > plugin.
> >
> > New since the last major release:
> >
> > * Two new oscillator modes: phase distortion similar to that used
> > in the Casio CZ series synths, and another FM mode.
> >
> > * GUI enhancements.
> >
> > * Improvements to the envelope generators, making them more
> > responsive to realtime parameters changes.
> >
> > * A few new patches.
> >
> > * Some GCC 4 fixes.
> >
> > Find WhySynth here:
> >
> >   http://home.jps.net/~musound/whysynth.html
> >
> > More information on the DSSI plugin standard, available hosts
> > and plugins can be found here:
> >
> >   http://dssi.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > WhySynth is written and copyright (c) 2007 by Sean Bolton,
> > under the GNU General Public License, version 2.

> Great.
>
> I really like this synth. Especially to lay out ideas quickly in
> Rosegarden. The only thing I miss is the possibility to control
> parameters in realtime.
>
> Is there a way to do this? Maybe via OSC messages from an external app?

It's a DSSI plugin, so whether the parameters can be controlled in
realtime or not depends entirely on the host - it has full control over
the parameter values. If it's a host that supports DSSI GUIs you can
also control them over OSC - see the documentation for the protocol on
http://dssi.sf.net .

--ll