[LAU] SID chip emulation?

James Stone jamesmstone at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 19:39:15 EDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 10:34:53PM +0200, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
>    Hi!
>
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 04:05:50PM +0100, James Stone wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a linux based synth that emulates the sound of the C64 SID
> > chip? I would love to use that sound in some pieces, but I have never been able
> > to find anything very usable.
> >
> > Perhaps something could be used from the libsid/libsidplay libraries??
>
> There is an instrument that is based on the SID chip for BEAST, so you
> should be able to create SID sounds using this network. Here are the
> details:
>
> http://beast.gtk.org/wiki:SidSynthesizer
>
> and downloadable instrument files are in the sound archive:
>
> http://beast.gtk.org/sound-browser.phtml?loc=/c64-sid

Hmmm.. it's certainly easier said than done getting beast to
accept midi input.

I downloaded and compiled beast and beast-alsa. I selected the
alsa midi input as one of the alsa virmidi channels, I had some
difficulty getting the beast sound engine to agree to start, but
I selected playback settings "auto activate". I connected the
midi input from the synth to the alsa virmidi,

But then when i press a key I get:

beast-0.7.1[26163]:BSE:1: ignoring note-on (523.251160Hz) for
foreign midi channel1

Any hints??

James