[LAU] SID chip emulation?

Dragan Noveski perodog at gmx.net
Thu Apr 19 22:49:50 EDT 2007

James Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 05:48:10PM +0200, Sebastian Gutsfeld wrote:
>
>> Hi James,
>>
>> "James Stone" <jamesmstone at gmail.com> writes:
>>

>>> Does anyone know of a linux based synth that emulates the sound of the
>>> C64 SID chip? I would love to use that sound in some pieces, but I
>>> have never been able to find anything very usable.
>>>
>>> Perhaps something could be used from the libsid/libsidplay libraries??
>>>
>> Sidplay2 uses ReSID for sound emulation. There are two other programs I
>> know of that use this library:
>>
>> * Goattracker (http://cadaver.homeftp.net) but you have to be familiar
>>   with a tracker interface and some SID internals
>>
>> * VICE C64 emulator (http://www.viceteam.org)
>>
>> Try Paul Slocum's Cynthcart (http://qotile.net/cynthcart.html) or the
>> good old JCH editor (http://chordian.dk/files.htm?c64) with its cool
>> polyplay mode for realtime play on the computer keyboard.
>>
>> Another option is Legasynth
>> (http://www.reduz.com.ar/cheesetronic/index.php?section=4), but I don't
>> think this sounds very close to a real SID.
>>

> Thanks for these suggestions.. They all sound quite sensible. I
> will look into them all.. sound like nice ways to generate good
> samples.
>
> Legasynth is closer to what I was envisaging though.. Although I
> have never managed to build it successfully.. I keep going back
> to it thinking "I've been using Linux for 6/7/8/9.. years now.. I
> _must_ be able to get it to work now" but with no success..

hi james,
me also trying to get legasynth working for longer now, but this thread
moved me to try one more time and see:

http://home.jps.net/~musound/LegaSynth-0.4.1gcc33.tar.gz

here you get the version which is patched to compile with gcc-3.3 and
that works here.

all i did was to adjust that /usr/bin/cpp, gcc and g++ are showing to
the versions 3.3 and than running configure enabling jack - thats all.

it compiled here that way very nice and it is not running that much rock
stable but it is running!
i have to find out more things about how to use the appi, but for now i
only can say that it makes some very special sounds.
actually i like it!

perhaps you try this version too.

cheers,
doc