[LAU] Thinkpad R60 for Audio Update - Firewire Conflicts with Audio

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Apr 20 11:42:28 EDT 2007

mea wrote:
> Hi,
> Sorry to bump into the thread like this, but I have 3+ year old R40 and
> I never managed to make it work with my firewire sound card under linux,
> I think mainly because of> cat /proc/interrupts
>  0:    6674809          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:         24          XT-PIC  i8042
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   6:          3          XT-PIC  floppy
>   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
>   9:         48          XT-PIC  acpi
>  11:    1744806          XT-PIC  uhci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2,
> uhci_hcd:usb3, ehci_hcd:usb4, yenta, ohci1394, Intel 82801DB-ICH4, eth0,
> radeon at pci:0000:01:00.0
>  12:         35          XT-PIC  i8042
>  14:      27840          XT-PIC  ide0
>  15:         20          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0
> ERR:          0
>
> As you can see, 11 is loaded. My question: In BIOS I see letters(A,B,
> etc) all assigned to 11. Is it safe to try to change them?

yes, in the worst case you just need to reboot and re-set them..

(hihi; if you dual boot: windows might find some new devices after
flipping those around; prepare to jockey (not mount) the driver CD/DVD)

ABCD usually correspond do the PCI irq wires . aehm striplines or
signals. ;) - some bios allow to choose "[voltage]level" or "edge" IRQ
detection. - not sure if and how that affects rt-linux. i use edge
detection.

assiging each letter to a different IRQ number and checking the output
of /proc/interrupts seems like a good idea.  try IRQ 3,5,9,11 for example.

you might still be unlucky: the firewire device might share the "wire"
with some other [inconvenient] device(s).

robin