[LAU] Thinkpad R60 for Audio Update - Firewire Conflicts with Audio

Pieter Palmers pieterp at joow.be
Fri Apr 20 12:45:49 EDT 2007

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 05:50:59PM +0200, Pieter Palmers wrote:
>
>> You should check whether your laptop has a Ricoh 1394 chipset. If it
>> does, you're out of luck. Ricoh chipsets are buggy in hardware, and
>> cannot be used for firewire audio interfaces. Thinkpads are known to use
>> these chipsets.
>>
>> lspci | grep 1394
>
> My R51 says:
>
> 02:00.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments: Unknown device 802a (rev 01)
>
> Would that work ?

Texas Instruments chipsets should work fine. VIA chipsets should also
work fine. I've seen vendors that recommend not to use NEC chipset, but
I have a NEC based cardbus card that works fine for me.

Note that this Ricoh thing is not something Linux specific... search the
digidesign or presonus forums for ricoh and you'll see that it's a
common problem.

Maybe we (=FFADO) should also build a chipset database....

Pieter