[LAU] Fijuu2 and YouTube

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Sat Apr 21 11:03:55 EDT 2007

> I'm a huge fan of this software/art project. They use Blender for the
> interface and I beleive there is (or used to be) some Puredata in there.

I talked to them at LAC 2007, they use Ogre as engine and Pure Data as
sound synthesizer. The Blender reference on their page is for content
creation when I am right.

> To my mind, 3d game-like synthesizer interfaces are one way of keeping
> electronic music performance distinctively non-boring.

Its a long going discussion if a good performance need visuals or not.
My opinion is that the music should be non boring in the first place and
the classical tape concerts can be still exciting.

But because of my background of visual arts I am too seeking the
Gesamtkunstwerk and working on it over 20 years now, of course different
approaches as everything has changed in the last decades, but yes, one
of my first computer creations included C64  those were the times :)

One of my recent projects uses the P5 glove as controler of sound and
vision, a custom OpenGL application I wrote in C++ and pd as soundengine:

http://elektronengehirn.de/glove.html

Other approach with other project was to control urban images with a
wind controller which also drives the sound:

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v2970162DnrADsM
http://www.urbanunits.com/index.php?page=41

BTW, Chris and Dave, I really love your works too and see some new
styles and movement. The Fijuu project actually made me looking at the
Ogre project. I was fiddling around with Crystal Space but they lack a
good documentation (or hide it well), but got it running on OSX and
Linux rather well. Ogre seems less complete but focused and better
documented, the rest you can add on your own (like networking for
control and physics) but there are documents too.

Cheers,

Malte
--
Malte Steiner