[LAU] [OT] a paper about FOSS

Mike Taht mike.taht at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 11:15:24 EDT 2007

On 4/23/07, Brian Dunn <job17and9 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Brian Dunn wrote:
> > this is me, trying to sound smart for my International Politics term
> > paper.
> > http://www.cs.okstate.edu/~dunnbp/pols_essay.pdf
> > If you've nothing better to do I'd love to hear opinions.

I liked the last bit  that charles liked as well, but I did find one bit
rather naive:

[if you could duplicate oil like software] "Oil would no longer have value
(peace in the middle east!)".

The peace you describe - if oil suddenly had no value - would be the final
peace of the dead, after the war, violence, starvation, and a mass exodus of
the survivors to countries that still had a viable product to sell.

To some extent this is what the war over patents and copyright is about,
except that it's only the copyright/patent owners that would starve, and the
copyright creators possibly find their incomes somewhat reduced.

> > /brian

Mike Taht
PostCards From the Bleeding Edge
http://the-edge.blogspot.com