[LAU] Alternative Fluidsynth Manager

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Apr 25 07:39:53 EDT 2007

Am Mittwoch, 25. April 2007 schrieb lanas:
> Le Mer, 25 Avr 2007 11:31:14 +0200,
> Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> a écrit :
> > I don't get your problem. fluidsynth reacts quite well on
> > midi-control. Just adjust the individual volume/pan/chorus/reverb
> > with the corresponding midi-messages and you will get what you want.
> > Why do you think it is easier to have that in a separate gui (like
> > qsynth) instead of being stored in your rosegarden/muse/<any other
> > midi-sequencer>-session?
> Rosegarden ?  I should give it a try.  Now I'm using Seq24 and while
> it's not perfect it conveys some simplicity which I like.  Seq24 does
> not interface with fluidsynth, I think.  Or does it ?  Maybe I should
> do without QSynth and try to use fluidsynth directly with Seq24 but
> then, as far as trying out sounds and just having fun, I wonder how
> pratical the command-line interface is.  With QSynth I just click on a
> different sound and inside maybe 2 second (time to grab the mouse,
> etc...) I have a new sound.

seq24 interfaces to fluidsynth via midi. Well, for testing sounds you could
also interface fluidsynth with vkeybd which is a virtual keyboard and has the
controls for volume, pan, chorus, reverb in the gui.

You shouldn't stop using qsynth. Its a nice gui instead of writing a lot o
obscure commands. But there is much more to control the behavior of
fluidsynth. By the way: fluidsynth reacts just like the hardware-synth of the
emu10k1 (soundblaster live). It even uses the same soundfonts. ;-)

> You seem to point to the possibility that a single sf archive can use
> different volume controls since each sound has a MIDI channel and for
> each channel a MIDI volume control can be set.

Not a single sf-archive can use different volume, but any midi channel can
control its volume individually. These midi-channels can be sent to different
instruments in one sampler/synth but also to different hardware- or software
devices... Only limitation here is that you shouldn't chain to many
hw-devices together because of midi-latency and that you only have 16
channels per midi-port...

> Following the same thought, each MIDI channel could be routed thru a
> reverb/chorus.

Not "could be" but "is"! The midi standard defines that certain controllers
control the level sent to effect[1-x] of each of the 16 channels. And
fluidsynth honours that. While you can control the overall volume of the
reverb in qsynth, you can control the individual reverb-send of each channel
just the standard midi way.

> But then, there could be a lot of jack racks on the
> screen while if you compare with Zyn, this functionality is neatly
> contained inside the same app.

But the Zyn-effects can't be controlled via midi. And thus you can't change
the send-volumes during the song. And that is very well possible in midi...

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---