[LAU] mute laptop speakers with Intel HDA

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Aug 7 05:10:00 EDT 2007

Arnold Krille wrote:
> Am Montag, 6. August 2007 schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
>> I assume most drivers are using the same interfaces to the
>> kernel, and the same services, and that these are relatively
>> stable.
>> But I could be completely wrong...
>
> Well, the kernel devs seem to change some interfaces rather often in binary
> incompatible ways. And sometimes even on purpose (to drive away blob-drivers
> like nvidia)...
>
> So it can be that one of these changes introduced a bug hard to find and
> affecting only very few drivers. And as the developers will probably all have
> the lastest kernels, they don't want to wast time by debugging a problem
> fixed two kernel versions ago just because the user has 2.6.4 installed and
> doesn't use a half decent distro...

Note: a decent distro (I've used several) doesn't necessarily have the
"latest" kernel - cuz the latest may still be in the very unstable realm.

I know I've switched to newer kernels in the past and had whole bunches
of devices quit working - for instance, had USB quit working completely.
On one, networking quit working entirely, too. So when some developer
tells me to "test again using the latest kernel," perhaps you understand
why I'm not exactly eager to go do that?

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community