[LAU] HDSP 9632 issues

Andrew Gaydenko a at gaydenko.com
Mon Aug 13 14:36:32 EDT 2007

======= On Monday 13 August 2007, Mark Knecht wrote: =======
> On 8/13/07, newton at silvertone.princeton.edu
> <newton at silvertone.princeton.edu> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I've read a lot of archived posts about issues with this card, but
> > none of them have solved what seems to be a fairly basic problem.
> >
> > I'm using Ubuntu Feisty 7.04, ALSA 1.0.14 and HDSPMixer 1.6. The HDSP
> > 9632 has firmware 1.53. Everything seems fine -- the card is
> > recognised, and it even makes sound using aplay. This leads me to
> > think that there's no problem with the driver or firmware. I cannot,
> > however, get the card to make sound using alsaplayer (there are no
> > errors, just no sound) or SuperCollider (the jack connections are
> > reported as fine, but again no sound).
> >
> > I've been beating my head against this for days, but have not had any
> > luck. Any help/suggestions would be most welcome.
> >

> Using hdspmixer did you route audio from whatever set of channels in
> the middle of the mixer are receiving audio from alsaplayer to the
> correct set of physical outputs that actually driver your speaker?
>
> - Mark

An another reason may be the firmware version. As far as I know, last alsa
dirver is known to work with cards up to version 1.52. Has anybody any info
about 1.53?

What does 'lspci | grep RME' show at the end of line ("rev XX")? Just convert
this number from hex do decimal (i.e. "rev 98" corresponds to v.1.52).

BTW, another question about alsa 1.0.14 and HDSP firmware 1.52. 192KHz sample
rate doesn't work for me (but works fine with, say, 1.0.14RC3). I have submited
a bug, but still have not got any reaction from the alsa development team:

https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=3218

Does this issue exist for me only?