[LAU] Suggested video card

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Aug 14 05:27:25 EDT 2007

Arnold Krille wrote:
> Am Montag, 13. August 2007 schrieb david:
>> Hein Zelle wrote:
>>> I fully agree with supporting manufacturers that provide information
>>> for free drivers, so go ahead and buy intel if you can.  However, I'm
>>> not sure I agree with the "run better" part - in my experience the
>>> nvidia drivers do generally function very well, especially when going
>>> to 3D applications.  The disadvantages become apparent when you have
>>> to recompile your video driver every time the kernel changes.
>>> A more important question though: are intel video
>>> cards even sold separately?  All I've seen sofar is on-board intel video
>>> chipsets.  If a separate card card exists, please post a model number
>>> so I can look for it in future purchases.
>> Yes, please, my laptop has onboard Intel video and it steals 64MB of
>> system memory that I'd rather be using for other things.
>
> Your laptop can be expanded with a pci-/agp-card?

Sorry, no - I dashed that off fast, neglecting to mention that I've
never encountered Intel graphics on any separate card - I've seen them
on many many laptops and a growing number of desktop motherboards (I
have two such mobos here). In all cases, the Intel graphics steals
memory from the system.

> I have the very strong feeling that you are fixed on your graphics device as I
> have never seen a laptop that could make use of an extra video card. Except
> with a docking station that has a pci-slot...
>
> You should get more RAM for your laptop so the 64MB of the graphics don't make
> a high percentage.

It's not the precise amount or percentage (my laptop has 798MB), it's
just the principle. With even cheap junk display adapters packing
32-64MB of RAM, I'd think the Intel graphics hardware chipsets could do
the same thing ...

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com