[LAU] Goodbye ReplyTo munging...

Marc-Olivier Barre mobarre at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 15:59:59 EDT 2007

On 8/14/07, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> OK, stay with me for a while and let's reason together.
>
> Filtering based on List-Id is filtering based on something that the
> mailing list server does. It relies on actions taken by the mailing list
> server, which do not depend on what the email client of the sender does.
> Therefore, it is more reliable because it does not change with every
> different email client.

I cannot agree more on that.

> If I set the list to remove duplicates, I only receive the private
> reply, which depends on the email client of the sender, which may or may
> not do the right thing. Therefore, filtering is less reliable, because
> it depends on all those email clients out there to do something.

The private reply will contain a cc: field which will _always_ contain
linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org.

You might not have seen last weeks thread announcing the change. I
gave a link to this page
http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful which contains
a part named "Getting two copies of the same email". You will find
here a second method to remove duplicates based on the Message-ID
header.

Cheers,