[LAU] Goodbye ReplyTo munging...

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Aug 15 02:28:27 EDT 2007

Hallo,
Florin Andrei hat gesagt: // Florin Andrei wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >Hallo,
> >Florin Andrei hat gesagt: // Florin Andrei wrote:
> >
> >>But this is wrong. There should never be duplicate messages anyway.
> >>A client-side solution should not be used to fix a server-side
> >>problem.
> >
> >Where's the server-side involved?
>
> Server-side _problem_
> The lack of a modified Reply-To

The lack of a modified Reply-to is not generating a single duplicate
mail. Humans using Reply-to-list do not generate duplicate mails.
Humans replying directly also don't generate dupes. Only humans using
Reply-to-all generate duplicate mails. I suppose most humans, who do
the latter, do so to work around their mail clients lack of a proper
List-reply-to, some may also do it deliberatly. Anyway, the mail
client and the human, who uses reply-to-all deliberatly, are all
independent from the server-side.

And then, all of this duplicate issue is just a small blemish, whereas
sending something private to the list, because the list software
messed with the Reply-To-Header can be a huge embarrassment. And
sending private stuff to the list because of Reply-to-munging *does*
happen all the time, even on Windows-user lists.

Ciao