[LAU] Goodbye ReplyTo munging...

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Aug 15 05:29:56 EDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 05:11:40PM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> >On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 11:33:04AM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> >
> >>No, it's the result of the settings of my account on the mailing list
> >>server - remove duplicate messages, which is the correct thing to do.
> >
> >OK, so you opt to receive only the copy that is sent directly to you
> >and not the one from the list. In that case you can't blame the list
> >if what you receive doesn't match your expectations - the copy you do
> >receive was never handled by it at all.
>
> But otherwise I get duplicates. This should not be a job for the client,
> to remove duplicates. It's the job of the mailing list to work in such a
> way that duplicates are not sent.

1. When someone uses reply-to-all instead of reply-to-list the intention
   is to send two copies. There is no other reason for using reply-to-all.

2. The mechanism you want to rely on - a list not sending a copy to you
   because it can find out you will receive another one - is a very specific
   one, and will not even work in all cases. If I reply to the list, and a
   minute later decide to send you a private copy of my reply, then the list
   has no way to discover this and you wll get two copies. Same if I bcc the
   private copy.

Filtering out duplicates _has_ to be the job of the client - it is the only
place where all messages meant for it ever come together. And it's easy
enough, just use the message id.

--
FA

Follie! Follie! Delirio vano è questo !