[LAU] RE: opinions on Ubuntu Studio?

Paul DeShaw zaltar at myway.com
Sat Aug 18 13:01:38 EDT 2007

Well, the install was easy, but nothing works, so...

OK, I got media players like Totem and XMMS to put out sound.  XMMS crashes when I try to use it with Jack.  Rosegarden shows up in the JACK connect window, connected nicely to both alsa pcm and TiMidity, but there is no sound.  I used to get it to work with the built-in sound on the motherboard, with JACK, but no more. KMID, Beast, Wired, all are silent.  ZynAddSubFX makes noise intermittently through JACK.  Right now I have Rosegarden up, to see if I could run it through ZynAddSubFX as the general MIDI device, but the GUI for Rosegarden has disappeared, though Rosegarden still shows up in the JACK connect window.  I will restart the computer to try again, and report later.

To be fair I have had no more success with 64 Studio, so maybe it's me and not the distro.

I haven't tried Planet CCRMA (is that the correct name?), out of RPM phobia. I'm so used to apt and Debian's offspring.

I'm not sure if it's something about the distro, or if my M-Audio Ozone is just never going to work under Linux, despite loading the madfuload firmware and setting the Ozone as the default sound card in asoundconf. It looks like a lot of people have been having trouble using this interface in Ubuntu Studio, but one guy said he had both audio AND MIDI working in Debian. But Googling M-audio ozone linux doesn't pull up any other success stories or fixes that work. Check out this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=148467&page=1 It goes on for 5 pages; I post as Aurora.

If you are actually able to fix this in Ubuntu, I hope you'll post to that thread as well.  The Ubuntu community needs you.

--Paul in Seattle