[LAU] Suggested video card

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Sat Aug 18 18:18:32 EDT 2007

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 00:36:47 +0200
Ctirad Fertr <phanatic at volny.cz> wrote:

> > What I would like to do is find a reasonable quality, quiet, low profile
> > graphics card that definitely has working drivers.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> I would buy an lower end (up to X850) ATI Radeon with passive cooling. These
> cards are almost fully (not sure about dual head capability) supported by
> opensource drivers (both 2D and 3D acceleration) included in any recent
> distribution.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ctirad

I would like to thank everyone who responded to this. I have a
temporary fix for the problem, as I've found a slightly older version
of sis_drv.so that seems to work OK on etch.

I will eventually upgrade as my reading suggests that this chipset
'steals' memory and tends to slow things down a bit.

I guess it'll be a toss-up between the Radeon & Nvidia. Unfortunately
you never seem to get a clear view of the cards in the advertising so
it's hard to tell which are lo-profile.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk