[LAU] which apps to choose for the job and how to set things up?

Dominic Arsenault dominic.arsenault at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 14:48:32 EDT 2007

Hey all,

I just joined this mailing list as a new Linux convert :). I'm using
Ubuntu Feisty and I've downloaded tons of stuff. I'm still trying to
figure out how to get my music production under way. I make 8-Bit Metal
music (www.myspace.com/8bitmetal), formerly using Windows. My process
was the following:
1) Compose the song in MIDI (using Guitar Pro)
2) Transform the MIDI output in NES sounds using a VSTI (Triforce from
Tweakbench) and record them (I used Fruity Loops to host the VSTI,
imported my MIDI in it, and exported in WAV track-by-track)
3) Mix down the tracks  and record electric guitar and vocals using a
standard multitrack audio software (I was using Cool Edit Pro/Adobe
Audition, but tried out Audacity in the end)

I'm trying to do the same in Linux. So far step 3 is pretty much done.
I've downloaded and installed the following:
Tuxguitar (as Guitar Pro replacement)
Rosegarden (for Fruity Loops)
Audacity

So far I have managed to set things up for composing MIDI in Tuxguitar
and Rosegarden, and I can also record and edit audio without problem.
The only thing I'm having a hard time with is passing my MIDI into a
VSTI to get the NES sound output. I've got JACK properly set up and
running, I've got Timidity++ for MIDI, my VSTI plugin, and I installed
FreeST (FST) which can run the plugin properly, along with Lash. The
only thing left is how to put all these things together to make them do
what I want!

Do I have to start my Jack server, launch the Timidity MIDI server, then
run FST to open my VST plugin, then Rosegarden with my MIDI file? And
then how should I set up the connections in Jack?  I don't need to map
my vsti to some "live" input (I don't want to hit notes on my keyboard
and have them produce the VST sound), I just want to "export" a MIDI
file through the VST's sound. Am I going the proper way about this, or
is there something simpler I could do?

Thanks a lot for reading this long post. :)

Dominic