[LAU] GPL Scoring/Engraving Programs

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Mon Aug 20 09:05:14 EDT 2007

On Monday 20 August 2007 11:34, tim hall wrote:
> I find this all slightly depressing. I thought Rosegarden / Lilypond
> ought to be the tools for the job, but the message I keep hearing is
> that they don't come up to the standards required for professionally
> printed music. I wish somebody could properly explain why.
>
> I've been commissioned to write a book of choral music, which requires
> multivoice staves, so obviously Rosegarden will fail there.

Although you can't edit or view them properly in Rosegarden, you can use
Rosegarden to prepare staffs that are then exported as multivoice staffs for
Lilypond to process.  The results can be very good if you get lucky, or can
need quite a lot of tweaking if you don't.  But Rosegarden's Lilypond output
is far better than it used to be, thanks to lots of good work from Heikki
Johannes Junes.

Chris