[LAU] Maximum channel limit on jack clients 32 ?

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Mon Aug 20 18:01:13 EDT 2007

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 10:13:51PM +0200, Winfried Ritsch wrote:
>
>> Maybe I just not a master googler, but I didnt find any answer why qjackctl
>> limits  maximum of input or output channels to 32. Also PD has this limit
>> compiled in and so on, but jackd starts with 64 channels with my MADI-card ?
>
> There's no such limit in qjackctl, and I've used it without problems with
> 64-ch MADI cards and applications having 64 or more input and/or outputs.
> Don't know about Pd.

Oops... Question is, on the QjackCtl setup settings, there IS in deed
this 32 in/out channels limit.

It's not a jackd limit; it's a QjackCtl/UI one.

Mea culpa. I will try to make it larger, but it will be bounded
nevertheless (999 channels maybe? :)

OTOH, there's this tip about leaving in/out channels set to 0 (zerO) so
let the alsa backend deliver the whole channel set as far it might be.
Hardware wise, that is.

Try that.

> The total number of ports is limited in jackd, but it's a command line
> paramater so again not a problem.

That should be yet another qjackctl/jackd parameter to tweak when you
have the potential of having a lot of so many channel client
applications plus ports and forth eating your audio path setup :]

Bye now
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc.org