[LAU] Ardour Error: Hard disk too slow

Dragan Noveski perodog at gmx.net
Tue Aug 21 09:51:20 EDT 2007

Matthias Schönborn wrote:
>> A message like this really does mean that your hard disk can't keep
>> up with the demand for data. The cause of this however can come from
>> several sources. Since you are running several programs at once, most
>> likely synced together through the Jack transport, this means that they are
>> probably all trying to access data from the drive(s) at the same time, and
>> as you know, audio can be rather dense when uncompressed. So the solution?
>> It is often recommended to have a separate disk for recording audio and
>> whatnot to, that way, when linux needs to read info for running a program
>> it wont interfere with the audio data access on another disk. Of course
>> faster sata/serial disk drives will help as well.
>>

> Hm... that sounds a little bit disappointing, especially as I found out that
> theres an SATA- disk in my laptop (Samsung X20). sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda
> results in:
>
>  Timing cached reads:   1592 MB in  2.00 seconds = 795.96 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:   96 MB in  3.06 seconds =  31.40 MB/sec
>
> Shouldn't that be fast enough?
>
> Are there any people here who are recording to systemdisks with no problems?
>
> As a workaround, I'm recording the Hydrogen track in Ardour, so that I can
> switch Hydrogen of. I'm not very happy with it, though.

hi matthias, look i am using ibm-thinkpad-r50e and i am able to record
16 tracks at once to the same disc as my system is on. i do not use an
extra audio partition on it, just recording into my home directory - no
problems at all.

murija2:/home/nowhiskey# hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:   672 MB in  2.00 seconds = 335.79 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  100 MB in  3.02 seconds =  33.07 MB/sec
murija2:/home/nowhiskey#

perhaps it is because i am using a multiface, don't know.

cheers,
doc