[LAU] Back from the void

james at dis-dot-dat.net james at dis-dot-dat.net
Tue Aug 21 15:05:45 EDT 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug, 2007 at 07:35PM +0100, Folderol spake thus:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:09:17 +0100
> james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:
>
> > Hi peeps,
> >
> >   I've been away from the list for months now, busy with work and our
> >   baby, but I've decided to start making more of an effort to see what
> >   people are up to and also to do something myself.
>

> Nice to see you back. I had wondered where you'd got to.
>
> >   Here's what I'm working on.  The bass is just not going right for me
> >   at all.  I wish I had a bass guitar.  And the ability to play it.
> >
> >   This is kinda the intro - although it won't be particularly
> >   lyrically complex, it will have more than just this phrase repeated
> >   throughout.  Excuse my singing, it's my first go.
> >
> >   http://dis-dot-dat.net/wip1.mp3
>
> Nice start. Agree the bass needs erm, development. Singing is better
> than mine :)
>
> >   I've probably missed lots of other people's great stuff.  If anyone
> >   has any recommendations, please pass them on!
> >
> > James
>
> DP has been quite busy as usual, and one or two others (cough)

So I see :)  Just listening to Lair of the Dragon King.

It sounds really nice, but you are insane.  Every few seconds I hear
it differently: it goes from Vangelis to UB40 to Kitsch to Blur and
everything in-between without actually changing.  And it has a sense
of humour between the melancholy.

I really like the lead synth.  You've probably noticed I like grungy
distortion on synths :)