[LAU] Back from the void

james at dis-dot-dat.net james at dis-dot-dat.net
Tue Aug 21 17:18:30 EDT 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug, 2007 at 10:55PM +0200, Thorsten Wilms spake thus:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 08:07:04PM +0100, james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:
>
> > > http://www.archive.org/details/aliethno
> > > http://www.archive.org/download/aliethno/thorwil__aliethno.ogg
> >
> > How are you creating these sounds?  I love them!
>
> Thanks :)
>
> The lead is a watercan somewhat similar to this one:
> http://www.daylily-discounters.com/images/watercan1.jpg
> but made of plastic. I 'played' it using a wet towel on the handle.
> This caused the partly water-filled body to resonate, an effect I
> discovered while cleaning the living room :)

I can honestly say that I would never have thought of using a wet
towel and a watering can to make music, let alone to clean my living
room :)

> There are some effects on it, but they don't alter the sound much.
> The wet signal is fed through a delay before the reverb to have a
> big room without muddying up the main signal. That's what it's
> supposed to achieve, at least :)
>
> Everything else is made of samples from my Windows days, as this
> thing started as a Cubase session (without the can). Quite a number
> of effects on it, most notably several instances of an Auto Phaser.
>
> The idea behind it was and is to make some kind of alien ethno
> music :)

Well, it certainly sounds like it.  You should create some sample
packs - there are some very beautiful sounds in there that the rest of
us probably wouldn't happen upon or imagine.