[LAU] Progressive Quantisation

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Tue Aug 21 19:55:03 EDT 2007

Nick Copeland wrote:
> Hm, my reply to munging got damaged there!
>
> Kurzweil developed a box to do this, I think as a project after selling
> his company to Young Chang. It was just such a PLL that would sync to
> the drummer so that the massively overproduced garange bands could play
> their music live, something that was impossible without  miming the
> whole act. Basically the drummer would lead the tempo (some are
> notoriously bad at following a set tempo anyway), from that the software
> would derive a MIDI time code and away it went to drive the sequencers.

I remember, a long time ago, playing an Electrohome home organ which
varied the beat box tempo by following the timing the player used on the
pedalboard. I was young at the time (in the 60s) and I'm not sure how
well/badly it worked. But, I do remember the owner boasting about it :)

EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca