[LAU] Edirol FA-101 and output level

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Aug 23 04:11:09 EDT 2007

Am Donnerstag, 23. August 2007 schrieb Daniel Wagner:
> Hector Centeno wrote:
> $ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/hector/Desktop/libfreebob/src/.libs
> $ ./test-volume 0 5 -1000
> Then ldd should find the correct library. If that works you could
> overwrite the installed libfreebob version with your own compiled
> version. But if you are not completely sure what you are doing I do not
> recommend this step. It could break you installation.

Installing manually into default locations without un-installing the systems
package *will* break things. And even then you need a way of telling the
system to not overwrite your installed package with the systems one again.

So its far easier to install you custom freebob (and possibly jack) in your
home-dir and have the LD_LIBRARY_PATH set up in your .profile or .bashrc...

> > What I need is to lower the volume of the outputs.
> I now that the FA-101 has a high output level at default. Even the
> output level for the headphones are really high.
> > Also in that thread there is mention of a "mixer" for doing that.
> IRC, the FA-101 is the only device in the BeBoB family which has a very
> simple mixer implemented. I can't really tell what you can do with it.
> There is a schematics drawn on the device top. Maybe that gives you a
> clue what the built in mixer can do.

Even if the device claims to have this mixer, there is no guaranty that it
actually does mix something. On the Firepod changing the volumes of
the "mixer" changes exactly nothing.

> Hopefully you can set the output level with the test program. Of course
> the test program should be improved :)

Pieters plan is to ditch OSC and introduce DBUS. With that it will be possible
to write small apps that control the devices mixers. (As the python-apps in
support/mixer do for some devices already.)
The test-programs should be ditched before the release imho...

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---