[LAU] water-damaged rhodes ?

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sat Aug 25 08:27:30 EDT 2007

Greetings,

As some of you know, my hometown (Findlay OH) was hit by rather severe
weather recently, including some impressive floods. I escaped any
serious damage, but my garage and utility room were flooded. The water
came up to my doorstep and stopped, thankfully, so the main dwelling
space was untouched. All my gear is safe and intact.

A large storage facility is near my house, and almost everything in the
sheds has been thrown out and piled by the streets for trash pickup.
When I walked by the piles this morning I noticed a case with a "Rhodes
Instrument" label. I opened it, it's a mini-Rhodes, and other than the
water damage it appears to in good condition. I packed it into my truck,
and now I own a mini-Rhodes that needs cleaned and possibly repaired.

So, how should I clean this thing ? My thought is to simply open it up
and hose it down to get any crap out of its box, then I'll let it dry
and try firing it up to see if it works. Any other advice or suggestions
for this project ?

Btw, if I get it working I'll sell it locally. It's too heavy to ship,
it reminds of my bad old band days when we carted a B3 and a full-sized
Rhodes. I admit to missing the great sounds from those instruments, but
my back won't bear the strain these days. ;-)

Best,

dp