[LAU] JACK sample browser?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Aug 25 16:50:37 EDT 2007

On Saturday 25 August 2007 20:29, Ken Restivo wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 12:18:43PM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> > Nathaniel Virgo wrote:
> > >I'm looking for a file dialogue with a "play" function that doesn't
> > >close the dialogue.  IIRC Ardour can do this but it seems a bit of a
> > >heavyweight app just to audition samples.
> >
> > I have Filerunner configured to play a variety of sound files, I just
> > right-click the filename and AlsaPlayer (or whatever you prefer) does
> > the rest. Very simple, very fast. It's what I use to do exactly what
> > you're asking (IIUC).
>
> I have had very bad luck with alsaplayer in the past (locking up, doing
> evil things).
>
> Is there a command-line player that will play WAV's and works with JACK?
> Most of the samples I have seem to be in WAV or AIFF format.
>
> - -ken

Hi Ken. I use MhWaveedit in GUI mode. It works with JACK ok. It plays .wavs,
and decodes .oggs, and .mp3's. I don't know if it does AIFF though.

https://gna.org/projects/mhwaveedit/

You need libsamplerate-devel, and libsndfile-devel to build it, but you most
likely have those already.

All the best.

Nigel.