[LAU] water-damaged rhodes ? UPDATE

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Fri Aug 31 17:04:20 EDT 2007

Greetings,

Thanks to a timely phone call from Marv Smoak, I decided against
watering the unit. Marv connected me to a Rhodes repair service in
Yellow Springs OH, the tech there recommended I leave the unit in the
sun for a few days to dry the inside of the instrument. I removed the
cover, set the keyboard out to dry, and voila, the keys are now all
active again (i.e. they return when pressed). They definitely need
adjustment though, which is beyond my skills.

I've cleaned the keys and the outside of the unit, it's looking good.
Now comes the moment of truth: plugging it in to an amplifier. However,
before I do that I'd like to check the unit for shorts or other
electrical problems. How should I do so ? Apparently the unit is not
externally powered, all I need to do is plug it into an amp.

And thank you all for your replies and helpful suggestions. Muchas
gracias, amigos.

Best,

dp