[LAU] Hardware synths

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Dec 1 03:13:09 EST 2007

Asmo Koskinen wrote:
> david kirjoitti:
>> I still think the Moog synthesizer sound is the best!
>
> You remember Synclavier - Zappa was mad about it... Jazz from Hell...
>
> "Synclavier Systems were expensive - the highest price ever paid for one
> was about $500,000, although average systems were closer to about
> $200,000 - $300,000."
>
> Oh my...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synclavier

Thanks for the reminders! I'd forgotten. I never had the money for
Synclavier or Fairlight, but I would have enjoyed playing with one!

What the PC did for that market wasn't doing it better - just doing it
cheaper. Just like the Amiga and the Video Toaster - it didn't do video
effects any better than the hardware already in use in the video biz. It
just made doing the same effects cheaper by a factor of 12.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community