[LAU] Hardware synths

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Dec 1 03:35:30 EST 2007

David Griffith wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, david wrote:
>
>> Well, I think that Yamaha's sound patches in their hardware synthesizers
>> sound much better than any soundfont I've heard. But if you're talking
>> about a pure synthesizer (one that generates its own sounds, not simply
>> playing what is basically just a sampled sound) - hard to tell. I still
>> think the Moog synthesizer sound is the best!
>
> Another thing that hardware synths have over software is the user
> interface.  You just can't get the kind of flexibility that you have when
> you reach out and grab cables and frob knobs.

I agree with that! The Moog was so *manipulable*. Even the Hammond organ
I played during my professional music career was manipulable in ways
that synthesizers don't conveniently make available - moving the
tonebars in and out while playing, for instance.

Reminds me - I need to splice an audio tape back together and get a
working tape deck. I have an old solo recording of a Hammond organ going
through a wah-wah pedal and fuzz box before going into an amp, I should
make another tape copy and digitize it before the tape dies completely.
It would have been recorded sometime between 1973 and 1975.

I do want to try my Wacom tablet as a control surface sometime. Even a
Smartboard would be an interesting way to do music.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community