[LAU] Hardware synths

Rob lau at kudla.org
Sat Dec 1 10:21:42 EST 2007

On Saturday 01 December 2007 03:08, David Griffith wrote:
> Another thing that hardware synths have over software is the user
> interface.  You just can't get the kind of flexibility that you
> have when you reach out and grab cables and frob knobs.

Well, there are controllers out there with a lot of knobs and sliders.
I have one myself. But I haven't had time to get my sliders working
with Bristol as drawbars, for example, or to get my knobs working
with Zyn, and that's something I do see as a drawback.... but the
lack of controller standardization is really the fault of the
hardware makers, not the Linux synth authors.

I've played and owned a lot of hardware synths over the years, but
ever since I realized 10 years ago that I could get a recording of a
software synth with no analog hiss, I haven't played hardware synths
at all.  Once I got my little Edirol controller, I put them all in
storage and will probably sell them someday if they still work,
though someone just gave me a CZ-101 and I may give in to nostalgia
for a while first.  I was tempted by that Korg vocoder one that came
out a couple years ago, but.... no SPDIF, no deal.

Maybe someday it'd be possible through the existence of LASH to create
a standard control set (I assume LASH sessions include things like
MIDI control mapping) and write "drivers" for all our controllers to
map the physical controls to that control set.  But I probably
wouldn't be able to contribute much to that aside from a
few "drivers", because LASH is magic to me.

Rob