[LAU] Hardware synths

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Sat Dec 1 15:19:55 EST 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 00:08 -0800, David Griffith wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, david wrote:
>
> > Well, I think that Yamaha's sound patches in their hardware synthesizers
> > sound much better than any soundfont I've heard. But if you're talking
> > about a pure synthesizer (one that generates its own sounds, not simply
> > playing what is basically just a sampled sound) - hard to tell. I still
> > think the Moog synthesizer sound is the best!
>
> Another thing that hardware synths have over software is the user
> interface.  You just can't get the kind of flexibility that you have when
> you reach out and grab cables and frob knobs.

One key aspect of nekobee is that it responds to MIDI continuous
controllers.  When I get time, I'll post the Xiosynth controller patch.

My work-in-progress "single-oscillator + sub osc, 24dB/oct lowpass
6dB/oct highpass filter and choruser" synth that's *NOT IN ANY WAY AT
ALL* based on a real hardware synth started life when I wrote a piece of
code to map sysex messages from my Juno to OSC commands.

Gordon