[LAU] [ANN] ams-guitrack_RC1 virtual guitaramp

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Sun Dec 2 19:56:44 EST 2007

Hello,

Many folks from the computer-audio-scene say, that they cannot find an
application for Linux to act as a virtual guitar-amp. Of course we know,
that one can build such a beast easily from modules but ti ease the
effort for all thos, that simply want to plug and play, I made up a
patch for alsa modular synth called ams-guitrack, get it here:

http://gnupc.de/~zettberlin/law/patches/ams/ams-guitrack_RC1.ams

1.) start jackd with qjackctl
2.) start ams
3.) load the patch ams-guitrack_RC1.ams and open View/Parameter View
4.) connect alsa_pcm_in with ams_in and ams_out with alsa_pcm_out
5.) connect your guitar and adjust the gain-settings in the parameter-view

for me this gives the results I would expect from a middle-class-
Marshall-Stack with a 19"-MultiFX involved.
The patch is being used in my recent recording-experiment:

http://gnupc.de/~zettberlin/law/lapoc/ (in German)
gnupc.de/~zettberlin/law/lapoc/lac2008-noack-lapoc.pdf (paper for LAC
2008 in English)

The guitarists in the project(so-called "musicians" - not the faintest
knowledge in computers, let alone Linux....) like the patch a lot,
especially because you get exactly what you hear as you play on the
track in Ardour. And because the patch reacts to some extent like a real
amp... If everything is set just right, you can control distortion by
turning the volume-knob on the guitar ;-)

A short, not-so-perfectly well played, unpolished and thus by far not
recommendable but still cc/share-alike/attribution-licenced demo can be
found here:

http://gnupc.de/~zettberlin/law/lapoc/demos/caps-walzersturm02-0312-2007.ogg

If unbearable hiss/noise spoils the party try to fiddle with the
gain/threshold/ratio-faders of the compressor-section in tab CAPS-AMP of
the Parameter-View.
You can also store your own presets here - since I strongly abhor from
such vices as factory-presets, I got only 2 very basic ones in the patch
itself...

Of course the patch depends on other software, first on ams and on the
LADSPA-Modules from the CAPS-Collection - thanks a lot to all its devs!!!

enjoy, and as always: any comments are welcome :-)

HZN