[LAU] [OT] gimp frustrations

Rob lau at kudla.org
Fri Dec 7 02:03:37 EST 2007

On Friday 07 December 2007 01:47, david wrote:
> software, or even semi-proprietary apps like Xara for Linux. GIMP
> is closer to being competitive with the commercial apps, but it is
> sure is confusing to use!

Luckily for Gimp, so is Photoshop.... but since Photoshop has such an
enormous user base and no one ships GimpShop with their major Linux
distro, I really think Gimp could still use a much more intuitive
interface.

I mean, after I spend a couple weeks setting up my keyboard shortcuts
and stuff, I'm a whiz with Gimp 2.2.  Someone using it every day
would be much more so.

But you know, I'd still be a whiz after a couple weeks if Gimp had an
(optional, because of the ABM crowd) MDI interface, better menu and
tool layout, and more intuitive docking of toolboxes and whatnot, and
people who use it less often or for the first time wouldn't have as
many problems of the sort you've had.

User-friendly and newbie-friendly needn't be mutually exclusive; just
look at Firefox.

Rob