[LAU] linux audio ready in 5 minutes - using which distro and interface?

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Sat Dec 8 15:27:25 EST 2007

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 14:53:49 +0100
Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:

> Try pure:dyne: http://puredyne.goto10.org/
>
> Ciao

Thanks, that may work, I thought about dyne:bolic because jaromil said
that jack and stuff works well, I didn't know that there is an
offspring that is more tailored for audio production.

My idea is to be able to do this with a low budget, everything you
would need would be the usb interface (most older computers don't have
firewire) and probably some kind of storage device to get the data home
or to some other place or even to record to it directly. The interface
could be used at home as well. The storage device could be an external
usb disc or cd-r, dvd-r, whatever.

No need for a laptop, a hardware recorder or anything, just cheap stuff
you can use at home as well.
The result isn't going to be a high quality recording anyway, because
the location is likely not a studio or anything, but it would allow to
just pack the stuff into a small backpack and record something at any
place with a computer, using linux ;)

Currently I wonder which audio interface would fit best.
It would need to be usb and work well with the linux distro out of the
box and jack, which, I think, is probably a bit problematic.

Any advice on that? I'm willing to try all that stuff.

regards
	Philipp