[LAU] A year of Linux Audio revisited - would like to know your oppinion

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Dec 11 02:29:15 EST 2007

Robert Persson wrote:

> Rosegarden is a very useful tool in certain circumstances. It could be
> brilliant in a school music class (I'm sure there's someone out there
> who's already using it in this way), and I myself use it for teaching
> myself formal compostional techniques through score writing, but it just
> doesn't cut it as a DAW. For instance if there is a way to create volume
> envelopes for midi tracks, I have yet to find it. Another problem is
> that I can't transpose the midi input so I have to route midi through
> qmidiroute, which always takes a minute to set up.

Hmmm, in Rosegarden 1.5.1, under track parameters for any particular
track, there's a section called "Create segments with". When I expand
it, I find an assortment of options, including one called "Transpose"
that lets me transpose up or down. Is that what you're looking for? I
haven't fiddled with it, since I'm willing to transpose after recording
keyboard input if I need to.

> Add up all these
> little and not so little problems and you start to find that you have a
> big problem.

In my opinion, Rosegarden (and other sequencer software) isn't meant to
be a DAW. I do mostly composition work, and leave the actual sound
making up to real instruments. So I have no use for DAW-type features.
I've heard that Audacity and Ardour are DAW applications, haven't tried
either of them yet.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com