[LAU] groove quantisation Was : A year of Linux Audio revisited

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Tue Dec 11 14:50:13 EST 2007

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:29:56 -0000 (WET)
"Rui Nuno Capela" <rncbc at rncbc.org> wrote:

> On Tue, December 11, 2007 14:58, Dave Phillips wrote:
> > Found on a Cakewalk docs site :
> >

> > *Groove Quantize*
> >

> > Groove Quantize allows you to change the "feel" of an existing
> > performance. This is especially handy for spicing up step-entered MIDI
> > data or performances that need tight, groovin' timing. The best way to
> > learn how to use Groove Quantize is by experimentation. Other than the
> > Groove Source itself, the settings that will effect Groove Quantize the
> > most are the Resolution, Strength Duration, Strength Time, and Strength
> > Velocity.
> >
> > So now we all know.
> >

> yes, i've used cakewalk pro audio "groove-quantize" midi effect once
> before. the way i understand it, you first preset an existing midi pattern
> as your chosen groove style, or so-called. groove-quantization is then the
> process in which an arbitrary midi sequence is quantized or made more or
> less similar to that preset style pattern in regard to onsets, velocity,
> duration, etc. in short, to have similar "feel".
>
> otoh, there's also another midi effect, called "swing-quantize", being
> fundamentally different. here, iirc, the quarters are moved back and
> forward to sound like triplets and/or vice-versa.
>
> it is my understanding (and i can be wrong) that most hardware like the
> akai mpcs, the roland grooveboxes et al. has it called "groove-quantize"
> but in fact is a form of "swing-quantize", at least according to
> cakewalk's definition.
>
> cheers

I can't help thinking this just replaces one form of mechanisation with
another. Even when recording step-time I have all forms of grid locking
turned *off*. Notes are very rarely actually on the allotted beat.

For preference I'll input via a MIDI keyboard, and if the part is
particularly difficult I'll play maybe just 4 bars, then rinse and
repeat. Doing this I've learned to recognise the pattern various
rhythms produce in a matrix editor, which is useful in it's own right.

Unless you're doing some techno stuff I regard any form of quantisation
as an admission of failure.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk