[LAU] A year of Linux Audio revisited - would like to know your oppinion

Sebastian Tschöpel tschoseb at tu-cottbus.de
Tue Dec 11 16:54:04 EST 2007

Hi,

Thank you all for your answers.
i'm glad that such a discussion has been motivated.

> Can linux replace a windows or OSX rig that a schmuck can load up, slap
> some loops on, use factory presets on their softsynths and press a magic button to fix their amateurish
> keyboard noodlings?

Up to some point I would agree as far as I said....

"Learning encouragement – [...] to give you an example: On windows I
tend to use one of the thousand presets a synthesizer X provided instead
of trying to build something from scratch. "

.... but modern software for producing music has nothing to do with some
dudes
clicking through presets.

I don't know if you know bands like the german electronic-duo
funkstörung or some bands on warp/ninja tune records.
they are great musicians, i'm sure they play classic instruments but the
music is nothing
you can produce with normal instruments. It is completely electronic
music based on modifying
samples, a lot of effects etc. I think it's a bit narrow-minded to
reduce musician on those
who use classic instruments.

the computer can be an instrument, too.  http://www.myspace.com/funkstorung
a turntable, as well.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6138167
  (john wayne on acid)
bobby mcferrin doesn't need no instruments at all to be a musician.

the possibilities are unlimited. in my oppinion, a classical instrument
is not the criteria for a musician.