[LAU] A year of Linux Audio revisited - would like to know your oppinion

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Tue Dec 11 21:46:42 EST 2007

Le Mardi, 11 Décembre 2007 12:57:45 +0100,
Sebastian Tschöpel <tschoseb at tu-cottbus.de> a écrit :

>> there's no software to use for storing presets on the Axiom 25
>> (only Windows) but that's OK
>> since I don't need that function.
>> And the Control Pad came with BFD
>> drums that so far I cannot use on Linux (haven't looked at it that
>> much either).  I wouldn't call that hardware issues.

> I would. Of course this problem isn't caused by the hardware itself
> but its a hardware issue to me when I can only use "basic
> functionality" because there is no software available to do this kind
> of job. I had the same problem
> with a Wacom Graphire tablet. No expresskeys, only the basic
> functions.
>
> Some people can live with that but I don't.

I guess somewhere you are right.  But then it also depends on the
context.  I bought the Axiom 25 keyboard for just that, a keyboard, and
I was not even expecting that the knobs and various buttons would
work.  I bought it only for the keyboard (and the little drum pads
which work nicely).  Now, it can be that I could use the knobs for
something, maybe whit Ardour, but I haven't spent time on that.  Now,
it could very well be that these knobs work plug & play with Windows
MIDI software.

From my point of view it is very clear that M-Audio does not support
Linux.  What can you expect from a company that does not support
Linux ?  This is not Linux's shortcomings.  This has clearly nothing to
do with Linux.  I've chosen Linux very knowingly and I do not expect it
to be like Windows.

In fact, that's two months now that the English version of Linux
Magazin has a full-page advert about a mostly Windows 'shareware'
magazine and it makes me want to not renew my subscription.  Not only
it is mostly Windows, but it is about shareware, which is a sad parody
of Open Source's organized way of developing code.

That's it, I'm not renewing my subscription ! ;-)

> Just as my terratec. By contrast. a friend of mine is close to throw
> his computer out the
> window since his soundblaster something doesn't want to record
> anything. I don't say that you'll experience constant hardware
> problems, but that for a less experienced user it could get
> dissappointing under certain circumstances.

I've seen a lot of Windows users like that too.  Not need to use Linux
to face problems !

> That is correct for MIDI devices since it is a very old standard. If
> you plug them
> in via USB it doesn't have to be that easy --> like my Oxygen 8 or a
> friend who
> uses the E-MU 0404 USB. No chance.

Well, the M-Audio Axiom 25 and Prokeys88, as well as Alesis' Control
Pad all plug through USB and they all work since the first plugin, so
to speak.  Too bad you had firmware problems with the Oxygen keyb.
Maybe I was lucky at the store when I picked up an Axiom instead of an
Oxygen.

Gruß,

Al