[LAU] A year of Linux Audio revisited - would like to know your oppinion

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Wed Dec 12 09:37:22 EST 2007

> There is no way around the fact that one has to eat, and that that
> doesn't go well with writing free software in the 'free beer'
> interpretation. Which seems to be the main reason why people turn to
> Linux. I've done a quick check on the cheapest offer from Cakewalk
> (Project 5) that might have all functionality that came up in this
> thread, and it is 100euro here. If all Rosegarden users were to pay
> Chris 100euro, I think Rosegarden would have more features than 'Project
> 5', or maybe even Sonar.

I think a more fundamental problem is that people who develop code more
often than not either do not have enough time to come up with a viable
business model, or [no offense] are not the best business people within the
context of values established by the predominantly capitalist society.
Ardour is one of ostensible exceptions (among others). Paul has created a
foundation for something solid and in the process of doing so has never
forgotten the business side of things. And while I do not know how the
project has been doing in the past couple of months, I do recall that he was
able to secure at least a couple funding opportunities along the way, and
more importantly attract contributors, some of whom were apparently drafted
via Google's summer of code program. All these opportunities exist and yes
they are very time consuming, and yes they are in many ways not 100%
guaranteed, and yet if you don't play (whether due to lack of time or skill)
you have 0% chance of winning.

Coupled with this is another fundamental problem--the tradition of
unfortunate Linux PR priorities. To this day, we waste too much breath on
"it's free" argument. While this certainly gives Linux a special status in
and of itself, not only has this been already well established long ago to
the point people are sick of hearing it, but I also think on audio side of
things more than anywhere else this argument has been abused as "but, this
one goes to 11" trump card. And so something that was virtually impossible
to trump as a *silent* advantage has been rebranded into a loud copout
whenever we face superior technology that is not available on Linux. More
importantly, the loudness of this argument has in some ways caused pursuit
of paid software on Linux like shooting ourselves in foot as such move would
destroy what has become in effect the core argument and consequently make
comparison of our software with commercial giants appropriate after all.

Trying to make a living is a noble cause and if pursuit of such funding will
enable you to dedicate more time/resources to that which you like and
ultimately generate a better and more competitive product, then perhaps this
is not such a bad idea after all. And for those who may not have the time,
resources, or simply skills to pursue funding/sponsorship/patronage, we do
have entities in OSS community who could ostensibly help in the process
provided they have adequate staffing and ultimately community support.

Best wishes,

Ico