[LAU] A year of Linux Audio revisited - would like to know your oppinion

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Thu Dec 13 19:06:35 EST 2007

Jan Depner wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 13:46 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
>> On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 10:08 -0800, Robert Persson wrote:
>>> Looking at my (non-)workflow yesterday, it is clear to me that the most
>>> time-wasting problems I am having are with jack. I start jack, I open
>>> the various clients, I plug them into each other and I start working.
>>> Then jack boots some of its clients off, or even crashes, and I have to
>>> start again.
>>>
>>> Time spent setting up jack etc:    90%
>>> Time doing productive work:        10%
>> Most people's time spent setting up JACK is because they are on a Linux
>> distribution that doesn't come configured correctly for using realtime
>> media applications. On systems that are, running JACK is essentially
>> trivial unless you insist on using USB audio interfaces which, partly
>> because of their terrible h/w design and partly because of ALSA's poor
>> driver support for them (compared to OS X and Windows), tend to be more
>> problematic.
>>

>     I was a bit confused by that as well.  I'm running a vanilla FC6
> without any patches and JACK just runs (like the energizer bunny).  I do
> have a patched kernel with Ingo's RT patches but I hardly ever boot it
> because, for the most part, it isn't necessary.

don't wanna be a pita, but current jack svn is dropping the towel as
fast as one single client gets it astray -- in fact it really looks like
the other sort of bunnies :o)

yes, that is still an open issue and has been reported on the jack
list(s) several times now. i really wish i could get some time to look
at the source (of the trouble, that is) but, you know, old excuses don't
pay debts ... eheh

byee
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela