[LAU] Rubber Band v1.0.1 - an audio time-stretching and pitch-shifting library and utility

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Fri Dec 14 05:16:29 EST 2007

On Friday 14 December 2007 05:01, Salvatore Di Pietro wrote:
> Any chanches it will be used in Rosegarden for timestretching?

Yes, we'll probably switch to it for the next release.  It's also in Ardour's
current SVN code.

> A LADSPA plugin for timestretching would be nice, too...

Not possible -- a LADSPA plugin must always output the same number of samples
as it receives.  To slow audio down in a plugin would require an ever
increasing buffer of incoming, un-slowed input; to speed it up would require
bending the laws of physics.

One easy thing that would be nice would be a sample player plugin (like the
simplistic sample player in the DSSI examples) with time stretching.  Bonus
points if it was capable of playing a sample at normal speed at the start,
gradually slowing down the longer the note was held down.  Also,
pitch-shifting as an alternative to resampling for pitch adjustment in the
sample player would be nice.  I almost wrote this plugin a while back, but
just never quite got around to it, and at this rate probably never will...

Chris