[LAU] A year of Linux Audio revisited - would like to know your oppinion

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Fri Dec 14 07:15:57 EST 2007

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 10:08:36AM -0800, Robert Persson wrote:

> Time spent setting up jack etc:    90%
> Time doing productive work:        10%
>
> The problem is not nearly as bad if I don't have much connected to jack,
> which is one of the reasons I find myself using an integrated windows
> DAW in wine. But I still need to run some external soft synths, but then
> I get these stability problems.

Which are probably not due to jack. Either your system is not
set up correctly, or some of your apps don't behave as good
jack apps.

Yesterday I set up a system using (all at the same time)

- 64 channels in/out (MADI), period size 256
- two ambisonic decoders, driving 32 channels,
- five instances of Ardour, all playing tens of channels,
- four instances of Jconv doing multichannel reverb convolutions,
- other bits and pieces.

I don't know the total number of jack ports and
connections, but it must have been near 500.

All this worked during more than 8 hours, without
any glitch and zero xruns. As I knew it would - this
was a demo for a *very* *big* customer and I could
not afford anything going wrong.

System: out-of-the-box F7 + CCRMA system, without any
special tuning.

--
FA

Parma, Italia