[LAU] A year of Linux Audio revisited - would like to know your

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Fri Dec 14 10:50:06 EST 2007

Paul Davis:

>>  Unless jack is
>> fixed (or extended) so that it can recover from errors (including
>> letting its latency be adjusted on the fly)

<...>

> JACK has a number of problems, some of them significant. The things
> you've spoken about are not among them.

I'm not sure what other problems you are thinking of? I completely
agree this is the main problem with jack. Its not unusual that a
program connecting to jack can make jackd crash. And it is
even possible to prevent this! (I know it tries to prevent
it though, but it does fail very often too).

The second problem I have with jack is that its not possible
to pause or disconnect temporarily from a backend, which
means that whenever you want use a program which use a
soundsystem which does not support jack (in my case, usually
flash, vmware or java), you first have to quit all
programs currently using jack, then stopping jack, then start
the non-jack compatible program. And after being finished
with the non-jack compatible program, start jack and all
its clients again. There was even posted a fix to this bug
on the jack list a few years ago, but of course it was not adopted.

I know jack is for professional audio use, though, and for that
purpose (except when a professional audio program screw up,
and makes the whole jack system crash), its excelent.
But these two issues are still very irritating, and generally
lowers the othervice high reputation of jack.