[LAU] [OT] modelines ?

Paul set at pobox.com
Sat Dec 15 01:31:26 EST 2007

david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com>, on Wed Dec 12, 2007 [10:54:58 PM] said:
> Paul wrote:
> >
> > 	Modelines really shouldnt be required unless you have certain
> > requirements in regard to the timings. A modern Xorg server will
> > have a billion built-in modes, and it will make all of them available
> > that are within the constraints of your monitors specs and the available
> > clock settings of your video card.
>
> And it may insist on guessing wrong about which ones actually work ...
>
> One advantage of the older Xorgs was you could REMOVE all the modelines
> except the one you wanted it to use. This helped prevent rude GUIs such
> as the thrice-accursed GNOME from forcing my system into a junky
> 1280x1024xinterlaced mode simply because said-thrice-accursed GNOME was
> idiotically thinking it was dealing with someone who didn't know his
> display hardware was capable of any higher resolution than 1024x768. But
> one of the things I hate about GNOME is its rather Microsoft-ish
> attitude that "We know best" ...
>
> --
> David
> gnome at hawaii.rr.com

	Hi;

	Xorg should put the cabosh on any modes that exceed the
highest resolution you specify in the Modes line of the Screen
section. So, if you put "1024x768" there, you should get the
best refresh your monitor is spec'd at for that resolution,
and no other higher res crappier options should exist. (actually,
its probably limited by the 'virtual' resolution, but its
fairly unusual to see anyone choosing a different virtual res
than their highest Mode...)
	I usually hand roll my main Modeline to maximize
refresh at my desired resolutions, and specify that. Fortunately,
my WM doesnt override my default selection.
	I have seen a gdm start up at too high a res on a default
install, such that the monitor could not even display.
ctrl-alt-<minus> until it is ok, then once gnome started up there
was some pointy-clicky gui tool to choose desired resolution and
refresh, which seemed to fix things permanently.
	This was a situation in which no Modes were specified at
all in xorg.conf. I would think that if you actually get in thar
and specify some Modes you want, gnome/gdm will pick from *those*
modes. [in which case you might be ranting on gnome for just
defaulting to the highest res. the X server offered, which,
barring it reading your mind, seems like the simpleminded-est
best choice.]

Paul
set at pobox.com

ps. I hope the entities that are forcing you to use gnome also
arent imposing your email address upon you as well... ;)