[LAU] [ANN] AZR3-JACK released

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Mon Dec 24 23:39:45 EST 2007

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 07:14:11PM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> On Monday 24 December 2007, Lars Luthman wrote:
> > This JACK program is a port of the free VST plugin AZR-3. It is a
> > tonewheel organ with drawbars, distortion and rotating speakers. The
> > original was written by Rumpelrausch Täips.
> >
> > The organ has three sections, two polyphonic with 9 drawbars each and
> > one monophonic bass section with 5 drawbars. The two polyphonic sections
> > respond to events on MIDI channel 1 and 2, and an optional keyboard
> > split function makes the bass section listen to the lower keys on
> > channel 1.
> >
> > The three sections have separate sustain and percussion switches as well
> > as separate volume controls, and the two polyphonic sections have
> > separate vibrato settings. All three sections are mixed and sent through
> > the distortion effect and the rotating speakers simulator, where the
> > modulation wheel can be used to switch between fast and slow rotation,
> > and the fast and slow rotation speeds themselves can be changed
> > separately for the lower and upper frequencies.
> >
> > Get it at http://ll-plugins.nongnu.org/azr3/
>
> Looks really nice.
>
> However, its MIDI is in the qjackctl jack-MIDI pane and the MIDI devices that
> might feed it are NOT, but in the "ALSA" pane. Never the 'twain do meet :-(
>
> So, how do I play it?
> I assume some of the programs (such as Muse or Rosegarden) will eventually
> give me a MIDI port here (use as soft-synth) but my keyboard?

I use alsaseq2jackmidi, a simple little daemon that bridges between ALSA and JACK MiDI.

http://ll-plugins.sourceforge.net/alsaseq2jackmidi.c

There are more elaborate solutions out there but I haven't tried those yet. The latest jackd, I'm told, has a -X option that automatically makes JACK MIDI stuff appear in ALSA and vice versa.

-ken