[LAU] Looking for Portable Digital Recorder, on a budget

The Other sstubbs at shout.net
Tue Dec 25 13:04:21 EST 2007

There may have been a thread on this topic a month or so back, but I'm
not sure what to look for.

It's too noisy in my apartment for any audio recording.  I first
thought about portable DAT recorders, but my googling leads me to
believe that's old technology.

In American Musical Supply (AMS), I see the Zoom H2 digital recorder.

I'll probably go to my church sanctuary for the vocal recording.  The
church's mixer has RCA L/R outputs I can tie into.  Or I could use any
mics included with the digital recorder.  My computer has USB ports
and is running openSUSE 10.2 with ALSA mixer 1.0.14, and have the
Audigy2 ZS internal card.  I can take a any type of output from the
recorder (1/8" stereo plug, RCA L/R, XLR, and possibly digital out-- I
haven't tried that with the Audigy 2 ZS) and get it routed to the ALSA
mixer for use with Audacity or some other recording software.

I'd like to stay under 100USD.  The Zoom H2 is listed at 199USD.

Suggestions?

Thank you,
Stephen.